How do I use chunks for nText fields?

Hi,

I've got a PHP 5 based website, talking to a MS SQL server database, using
odbc_exec() and related methods.

Some of the database fields are type nText, and return only part of the field
value plus a pointer to the next part.

My database guy pointed to a Microsoft example of how to deal with in VB using
the "GetChunk" method within a while loop:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa905922(SQL.80).aspx

I have two problems with this approach:
 1) It seems a rather awkward way to do it
 2) I can't find any documentation describing how to do it in PHP

Can anyone tell me what I need in order to get the whole value of the field out?

(I haven't been able to subscribe to php-db, so please CC me.)

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Balch.          | Señor web developer.
T: +44 (0)1865 280979 | Technology-Assisted Lifelong Learning.