Re: Using multiple submits on a page and retaining $POST data

Almost what I wanted to do.

I am looking for a way to set the default option value to the selection the
user just chose. for example, something like

<select name=cars value=$_POST['cars']>

On 3/16/07, Gunawan Wibisono <landavia81@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

solved

On 3/16/07, Onochie Anyanetu <ubernoch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Gunawan
>
> On your first comment, im not sure what you were referring to when you
said
> it is a js problem
>
> on your second comment, i am talking about the user entered data. data
> submitted by the first submit button will always be predefined by means
of
> the user using a selection box, the data im concerned with checking is
the
> input boxes he will be seeing. and this wont necessarily be
username/pass.
> and im trying to do this in php if at all possible.
>
> on your next comment, (6) i am talking about after i vertified the
validity
> of the user typed/entered data, i will enter that into my db
>
> next comment - i knew this would be hard to describe, but i'll try
again.
> this is to be done all on one page. and ive tried using something like:
>
> value=\"$_POST['name']\"

> but i am having problems keeping the initial drop down at the selected
> choice, so whenever either submit button is pressed and the post goes to
php
> self, the drop down is refreshed back to its starting value, which is
NULL
hahaha..
that's simple.. drop down menu always return to the null because u
don't give selected on one of option.
i have a function (build in) that's answer your problem.. if you on
hurry.. i'm sory, i cant give it now.. my skrip in other comp..
<select>
<option value="base" selected>sale options</option>
<option value="base2" >Buy options</option>
</select>

try this on offline
i believe.. the first you enter the page.. the sale option will be
selected

now add 2 option then try one of the option you add have selected..
what happen next you will see the default will be change, remember
erase selected

forgive me.. i think it matter of js but it matter of html.
fyi.. try using ajax .. i believe it make your life for comfort..
(since it don't need to refresh the page) and make your skill up.

> [...]
> > u mean when clicked.. the info like username are check whenever is
> > valid or not?? perhaps u should try ajax
> >
> > > // 6. enter data into database
> > i don't get it what u mean in here??
> > >
> > > The problem is in step 5, when the user hits the second submit and
data
> is
> > > checked before db submission, I am losing the data displayed by the
> first
> > > submit button
> > hmm i don't get it by reading at the first. i think in the 2nd page u
> > should try to make <input type=hidden name=user value=landa>
> > this input contain what previous data enter...
> >
> > foreach($_POST as $nm=>$val){
> >   $txt.="<input type=hidden name=$nm value=$val>";
> > }
> > echo $txt;
> > >
> > > This is what I have tried
> > >
> > > ive tried using POST and SESSION variables to display the data, but
this
> > > doesnt work. this is because in my code i have an if isset statement
> > > check if submit has been pressed,  then the variables are retrieved
from
> the
> > > db and used. when clicking the second submit button and checks are
done,
> the
> > > top portion of the page of information retrieved by the first submit
are
> > > nothing but blanks because the first submit is no longer set (using
> isset)
> > >
> > > my next idea was to save the variable selected in the first drop
down
> (step
> > > 1) and requery with this selection at the second submit button to
> retrieve
> > > and redisplay the data. this did not work because this variable was
set
> back
> > > to "" because the drop down resets itself on each submit. disabling
the
> drop
> > > down if the first submit is set and then setting the variable did
not
> work
> > > either because when the second submit is hit, the first submit is no
> longer
> > > set, so the drop down is displayed, the variable is set to "" and i
get
> > > nothing in my variable. this also was the case if i made it a global
> > > variable.
> > i wish to see the offline from your pages.. if able send to me
> > >
> > > so basically i have resorted to just googling things and trying out
> > > different arrangements of code to no avail. I need a way to hold the
> data on
> > > the top half of the screen while the bottom half is being
manipulated.
> any,
> > > and i mean any help at this point would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank