help with mysql connect error

I am new to this list today, so if I should be sending this to another
specific PHP list, please let me know.

I am getting the following error via the PHP web page I am building:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13) in
/var/www/html/software/index.php on line 18 Can't connect to local
MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13)

Here are lines 12-19 in my index.php file in which I am trying to
establish a mysql connection:

<?php
	$hostname = "localhost";
	$username = "softread";
	$password = "XXXXXXX";   // XXXX'd out for list only
	$dbname = "software";

	mysql_connect($hostname, $username, $password) or die(mysql_error());
	mysql_select_db($dbname) or die(mysql_error());

I am running this on a RH ES 3.0, using PHP 4.3.2, and MySQL 5.0.27. I CAN connect to MySQL via the following commands:

# mysql -usoftread -p software
AND
# mysql --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock -usoftread -pXXXXXX software

I can also connect to the MySQL database via the web using webmin. And here are the php.ini configurations for MySQL:

mysql.allow_persistent = On
mysql.max_persistent = -1
mysql.max_links = -1
mysql.default_port = 3306