From: "Ron Piggott (PHP)" <ron.php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: PHP DB <php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  Displaying a PDF file
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:33:45 -0400

I am creating a submit button on the fly.  The purpose of this is to
open up a new browser window and then display the contents of a PDF
file.

The code for this button reads:

<input type='button' value='Psalm 91'

onclick="window.open('index.php?request=view_prayer_ministry_document&document_reference=1','prayer_ministry_document_viewer','width=800,height=600,toolbars=no,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes');">

The window name is prayer_ministry_document_viewer
I am trying to access document_reference 1 which is in a mySQL table.

mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password);
@mysql_select_db($database) or die( "Unable to select database");
$query="SELECT * FROM prayer_ministry_documents WHERE reference = '$document_reference'";
$document_result=mysql_query($query);
mysql_close();

$document_file_name = mysql_result($document_result,0,"document_file_name");

#now here I start to get the contents of the PDF file to display

$lineArray = file($document_file_name);

// make an empty variable first
$document_contents_to_display =  "";

// concat all array element
foreach($lineArray as $eachLine) {
$eachLine = wordwrap($eachLine);
$document_contents_to_display .= $eachLine;
}

#when I try to display it the PDF it displays it as text with the various ASCII characters ---
#what I am doing wrong / what is the correct way to do this
#I know I could simply specify the file name / path following the window.open ... but I am trying to see if I am able to accomplish the same results this way.

echo $document_contents_to_display;

?>

Ron