Interacting with server without a refresh?

This veers a bit from PHP, but is relevant.

I am building an interactive workshop tool using php and mysql.

I want the facilitator to be able to control which pages the participants see and to be able to control the data that appears on the page. The obvious way to do this would be to have regular page refreshes. This would reload the page bringing in new data from the db, or could pull in entire new pages using includes.

However, page refreshes are less than elegant - and can cause problems if, for example, I want to have a form on a page. I am wondering if there are alternative methods - presumably using something clientside - that could check the server and only do a refresh if new data/new page or somesuch is available.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks,

Jeffrey