Forms with letter security

I have a set of graphical letters A to Z.  I want some displayed and
then keyed into a security field to verify a person is submitting the
form.  I have seen these used before on shopping carts.

I know about creating salts to select which letters to choose.

What I am wondering is if there is a way to join the letters together
instead of having 6 different images displayed.

Ron