Re: PDF BLOB to Email

At the risk of extending empathy where none is given, perhaps you should

I do appreciate that thanks :)

tell us what experiences have led to your negativism. You've been a
subscriber to this list for quite a while, and as far as I can remember,
your posts have never been critical of the language.

Surely something must have happened...

Well, its a long story, actually many ;p

I'll break it up in categories and summarize, and I will attempt to be more positive ;p

a) development:
   - no structure, no CPAN
- random DB funtionality different combinations of --with-mysql --with-mysqli on versions 4.x and 5.x all behave differently and take different args
   - likely to not run the same on the same server

= More expensive to develop and maintain

b) resources:
- php *has* to run under apache and optional "optomizers" because its soooooooo huge and hoggy

= more expensive to run

c) administration:
- add simple "foo" funtionality you might break apache and you may break all PHP scripts - more support for end user since the user's script that worked on the last server doesn't work on this one (which takes back to the simple functionality adding bit above)

= more expensive to operate

d) security:
- config files are generally world readable (IE anyone on the server can get to your authentication info and have complete access to your data) - directories are generally world writable (IE people ahve uploaded ISOs and stolen bandwidth from other accounts)
   - php.ini can be overridden so its pointless
- I've seen root kits and other malciouse stuff uploaded to "protected" places via the web (IE phpbb patch google attack) - SQL injections and other input attacks because some feature is assumed to be on when it isn;t so the protection never gets applied

= much more expensive (lost customers, time, etc)

yes you can have this with any langauge given a bad programmer but with PHP you have an inherently flawed system that can unexpected overcome a good programmer.

The thing that reeeeaaallly irks me is that the general vibe is:

"PHP looks nice so it must be nice" when its simply good graphic design covering many hidden dangers and all funtionality and more can be had easier and without all the fuss with so many other technologies