Re: slow loading page

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 18:06 +1030, David Robley wrote:
> Micah Stevens wrote:
>

> > Not enough information there to make any sort of diagnosis, but here are
> > some things to try to narrow down the problem:
> >
> > 1) ssh into the server, and run 'top' to watch the process list. Then
> > while watching that, hit reload in the browser to see if the HTTP process
> > pegs out while you're waiting for the page. If it does, for some reason
> > apache/php is struggling. Otherwise it's likely something else.
> >
> > 2) run 'ngrep' on port 80 of the incoming network interface (eth0, or
> > whatever it's hooked to), and reload the page again. Are you immediatly
> > seeing the request come though or does it take a while? This type of thing
> > could be caused not by the webserver, but instead by a badly configured
> > router, or something in the network. If it takes a while to come through,
> > you need to look at your network configuration.
> >
> > 3) Is this a DNS issue? If you're accessing via a domain name, and not a
> > direct IP type URL, a shoddy DNS connection could make things really take
> > a long time.
>
> 3a) If so, is hostname lookup turned on for apache logging? This may result
> in yet another query to the DNS. I'm not sure however whether that lookup
> might delay delivery of the document, or whether the document is served
> independently og logging actions; I would guess the latter.
>

> Cheers
> --
> David Robley
>
> "I'm never anywhere on time," Tom related.

Ran TOP - the system is still at 99.5% idle while the page is loading.
I also ran ngrep (new tool to me - very cool) and the requests came
through very quickly - rules this one out too.  The only one that I
don't really have a way to test is the DNS issue.  The server is sitting
in our DMZ and our firewall rules say that our corporate network can
have total freedom to the lower security items (like the DMZ).  As for
the DNS - the server is a single server with two virtual domains (name
based, not IP) and we have a DNS server pointing to it.  Are there any
ways to test the DNS server configuration?  Any tools that I can try?  I
feel like this is probably going to be my smoking gun here.
Doug