generating random id's

  Just to let you all know I used PHP's unique ID generator to generate a unique id for tracking purposes.  I than md5 it hide the format a bit, would this be enough?  Or can be easily worked out also?  Need it pretty tight and keeping the likelyhood down of having multiple listings of id's.  It's using 32 chars.

  Jerry