Re: Getting PHP 5 w/mysqli to communicate with MySQL 5

Without some good information I'm going to take a stab in the dark here..

You are using the mysqli functions right? Not the older mysql ones for mysql4.x and older??

If you only compiled php with the mysqli libraries then you need to use them

You "can" connect in some fashions to mysql5 db's with mysql_ functions and the older libmysql4 libraries but the authentication method needs to be worked into it [newer mysql password function is different to mysql4 and older password function]

otherwise though I compiled both libraries mysql and mysqli into my php: http://aries.the-spectrum.org/phpinfo.php and use a mySQL 5 engine but only using mysql_ functions currently due to backwards compatibility of old sites and old code.

What exactly are you have troubles with? A code snippet or version examples would be good. Also is your database mysql5 engine I take it?

Regards,
 Julien Bonastre

[aside]
I'll try and be VERY precise from now on in this list so people don't interrogate my help and advice and construe it as definitive BIBLE like answers. I'm only trying to help. I am barely 21 and I am non-qualified academically. Doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. Fear my wrath, or my wife, equally dangerous I assure you haha.
[/aside]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allen Schultz" <allen.schultz@xxxxxxxxx>