How can I solve this?

Hi everyone,

I am using PHP_SELF in order to get the current path on a dynamically
created webpage.  This gives me the following:

/my_website/index.php

My problem is, ALL I NEED is the directory name - no / or no index.php, how
can I strip these out to leave JUST the folder name the file is located in?
I need this because the page is dynamically created, and it gets templated
information from a database and needs to use the foldername as the
identifier between the DB entry to use for grabbing the information and the
pages inside the directory.

Any help would be really appreciated and I'm certain it's something REALLY
obvious.

Chris