Re: Refreshing text question!

js rotating banner system

http://www.dyn-web.com/dhtml/banners/

bastien

From: <tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: <jusa_98@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Refreshing text question!
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:26:15 -0500

Ooops... here's the real link:

http://rajshekhar.net/blog/archives/85-Rasmus-30-second-AJAX-Tutorial.html

= = = Original message = = =

Two ways I can think of to update part of a page without doing a full refresh:

1. Use an IFRAME so you're technically updating a page, but it's the page within the frame (not my favorite but works ok)

2. Or you can use asynchronous javascript (AJAX) to update just that one section of the page without doing a refresh. Here's Rasmus' great primer on AJAX, should be easy enough to follow:

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

One note I'd like to make that doesn't seem to be mentioned in a lot of AJAX tutorials. If the page your AJAX is calling doesn't have the standard "do not cache" tags, you sometimes won't get the results you want.. especially with Internet Explorer (in my experience).

Here's a block I copy/pasted from somewhere that seems to work fine (covers most of the bases and all):

header("Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT"); // Date in the past
header("Last-Modified: " . gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s") . " GMT"); // always modified
header("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate"); // HTTP/1.1
header("Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0", false); // HTTP/1.1
header("Pragma: no-cache"); // HTTP/1.0

good luck!

-TG