Re: Encrypting DB content

You can store an MD5, or SHA hash of the password, and then compare.. This is
not an encrypted version of the password, rather a calculated hash of it. You
can't (well, not without a bit of effort) decrypt this back into the
password.

The idea is when you store the password, you create the hash. Store the hash
in the database. When the user logs in, take their password entry, generate a
hash in the same way, and compare the two values.

SHA2 is the most secure method to use of these two, I'd use that.

The advantage is, the hash could be freely accessable to anyone, and it
doesn't cause a security issue, where as all a hacker needs is the key to an
encrypted database of passwords to reveal them all.

That's the route I take anyhow.. This will likely start a huge conversation
about how to secure your system up super tight, but remember the most secure
server is one that isn't turned on. :) A realistic solution is somewhere
in-between this and no security at all.

-Micah