PHP & MSSQL on Linux

A few months back I wrote the list asking for help making a connection
to a MS SQL database from our linux webserver.  At that time I was able
to make a successfull connection on Fedora Core 1 after installing
php-mssql.rpm and a freetds rpm.  When I upgradd to FC4, I was unable
to continue my project because the RPMs had not been built for
PHP5.0.4, whic is the version we run now.

Today, I was able to get the version of php-mssql I needed and installed
it successfully.  I am able to make a connection to our ms sql server
using tsql.  There is a mssql.ini file in the php.d directory and the
mssql.so file is in /usr/lib/php/modules/.  Using the
get_loaded_extensions fuction, I see that mssql is a loaded module and
the phpinfo() function shows me mssql configuration files.  All
indicators tell me that I should be able to connect.

Obvsiously, since I'm posting to the list, you can guess that it's not
working.  The error message I get back is useless as I'm only told that
the connection failed.  Does anyone know anything else I need to check
to get the connection working?

Thank you,
Robbert van Andel