Re: Re: list test subject. .

[[[ O-F-F topic ]]]

prefer replies offlist if they have to be done, but I had to clear the waters some on this.

that said...

JeRRy wrote:
[A lot of mostly unintelligible and worthless to quote jumble]

delays like this are not frequent, and should not be.

delays like such. Most recently IP's were a major issue than they upgraded how they operate to IP(something or rather) ... IP2 or something. Effected Web Hosts. I'm not quite clear exactly what all this was but my web host was down for a considerable time because of it and all my sites effected as people could not connect. Some were upgraded on the fly some sites were down for weeks or more. My web host was down for 11 days.Where do you live ?

No. You were handed a pile of lies, it's possible that a major line recently was upgraded or repaired. Are you in New Zealand?
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/24/0249231&tid=95&tid=133
More likely your web host broke something badly and had to rebuild their system(s). IPv6 is the next version of IP, and it's not full replacing IPv4 anytime soon because coordinating the whole mess is cumbersome. It's already in use in plenty of places, and they use it alongside IPv4 just fine.

Australia!I know, that the USA are realy underdeveloped (Broadband,...) but broken DNS or such issues?

The USA is not really underdeveloped in this area, we are just too widespread to have *really* fast pipes. Broadband has penetrated the US quite fine and it's extremely easy to get fast always on connections

Tests were ran with certain domains. Most domains failed in Washington area. But since these tests are not always accurate but I'd guess the problem lays within a hop or something there. But how would I know in Australia? > Another is I tried to load http://www.getpaid2reademails.com/ and> I can't access it but people elsewhere can. When I ran anonymous> browsing it works. (another location)More bizzare!!!

Your DNS was broken, you still had a local cache of the sites you frequently visit.

Not really. A person in Canada confirmed they were not able to view the above site for the passed 3 days. I can view it now. Another person in Americal could see it before but can't now despite the site being online and the server active. It happens quite often this occourence.> This list seems to be working fine now, I just got a swag of emails> sworming in all at once. But when I see the date/time emails were> sent I see there is quite a delay in some hitting the inboxes.Maybe you should ask your ISP what happen...

Again, DNS servers/issues. DNS changes can take a long while to propogate. If your webhost was also your DNS host and their servers went poof, it is possible some people had the lookup cached while some didn't.

Email has no particular guaranteed delivery time, and backoff algorithms differ - in addition to mail servers queuing mail up before sending. It happens, mail isn't always as instant as we would like.

Why should I? Can't you see I am using Yahoo!? lol ... Nothing wrong with my ISP currently. As they don't feed my emails, they just feed the pages to check them. ;) > But it's great to see people interested if the list is still> ACTIVE... Rather than forgetting it exists if people don't get> emails every so hours. The list has lovers.. :):-)

amen.  hail to the list. :)

I think there has been 2 emails stating is the list active lately. But none have confirmed www problems. > Michelle, go back to your little box.Little Box ?

That's what they call a linux (of some description) O/S machine, a box.
it's just OS - it's an abbreviation, not O/S like O/S 2.

cheers,
--
- Martin Norland, Sys Admin / Database / Web Developer, International Outreach x3257 The opinion(s) contained within this email do not necessarily represent those of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.