escape

When you retrieve a cell from the table it is escaped.

$quotation=mysql_result($result,$i,"quotation");

Are you then able to use the UPDATE command to mark that $quotation as the
one currently in use if I had a "today" column?  Would the escape part of it
cause the search to fail?

The $quotation that was randomly retrieved today had an ' in it.  When I
sent the computer to change the today column to a 1 instead of 0 the search
failed.  I also did some other changes --- I changed the = for the command
LIKE ...

Right now I don't have an auto_increment (however you spell it) on that
table.  I know that would be one way to get around this ... but I am
learning as I go and I wanted to see if there was a particular reason why it
didn't work.  I did some tests and over all it is able to change the 0 in
the today column to a 1; I am wondering if retrieving and then searching
again as an escaped sequence is what caused it to fail this afternoon.

Ron