ini_set()

In order to create a session handling function that does not rely at all on cookies, I'm trying to use ini_set('session.use_cookies', '0') to make sure that the PHP server does not set cookies on page load.

However, even though the ini_set goes through (as evidenced by the "0" in the ini_get()) the page sets a cookie every time with the name PHPSESSID.

No matter what I do, that cookie still gets set, and I can't seem to get it to stop. Even on the simplest pages, it still sets. The following code still sets a cookie:

<?php
ini_set('session.use_cookies', '0');
$x=ini_get('session.use_cookies');
echo($x);
?>

Even though the $x returns the correct value, ('0'), the cookie still gets set.

I'm using PHP 4.3.10 on OS 10.3 Mac, but the same thing happens on my ISP who serves the same version of PHP on a Linux box.

Any ideas?

Thanks,