Re: novice on table design

actually, no, Shop, Employee, and Customer are not distinct.
in your instance they are the same type of entry.
don't distinguish them by tables, rather use a column to hold some sort of an ID for each type.
of course you'll end up with a table with many columns, and many of them will be null depending on which type an entry is.
but with this approach, you can easily associate with an address table.

Tony S. Wu
tonyswu@xxxxxxx