From: J. Connolly [mailto:web@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 02 May 2005 15:42
To: PHP list
Subject:  Sorting multidimensional arrays from mysql

Morning all,

I am having problems understanding what I need to do. Usually for most
of my work, all i need to do is pull the information and place it like this:

function office_list(){
    global $link;
    echo "<table><tr>";
    $sql = "SELECT town
            FROM offices";
    $result = mysql_query($sql, $link);
    while ($array = mysql_fetch_array($result)){
        $office = $array['town'];
        $state = $array['state'];
        $zip = $array['zip'];
        echo "<td>$office</td>
    }
    echo "</tr></table>";
}

But now I need to separate the information in order to build a more
complex table. I do not understand how to obtain each cell. I have a
fixed number so it will never change.
I thought multidimensional arrays came as array[0][0], but when i try

$office = $array['town'][0]

I just get the first letter of that office. If someone could point me in
the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it. I think I just do not
know the terminology I am looking for. The PHP manual keeps brining me
to pages that are not what I need.
Thank you,
jozef