find a value in entire table...

I need to search an entire table for a value, and then report back what
field it was found in... how on earth do I do that?
I've a list of departments, as field names.
whenever a user interacts with that Dpet, I wanna add thier id No to the
appropriate field.
so I'll be left with a table that looks like this:

================================
| Accounts | HR | Support | Marketing |
|      23          |         |                 |                      |
|                     |  17  |                 |                      |
|                     |         |      17      |                      |

So User 17 has dealt with HR and Support, and user 23 has dealt with only
Accounts.
So I wanna input an user ID no, and then get told what Dpets have been
accessed...

I need to learn this, as I know it's simple, but I've never had to do it
before!

Tris....