Re: Slow access Apache + PHP + MySQL

Jennifer Goodie wrote:
From: Andre Matos <andre.matos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
[snip]
The system administrator told me that could be the PHP session, but again,
he also was not complete sure about this.

I have no idea what this even means.

I take it to mean that to prolong the hard drives life, he set PHPs sessions to write to /dev/fd0 (floppy disk) - naturally.

Seriously, that's one of the strangest "I don't know so I'll just give them any old answer" answers I've seen. I prefer hearing stuff about how "the moon is in parallax with the sun and the resulting increased magnetism (yadda yadda yadda) is causing the syntax error that suddenly appeared". Nah, I'm kidding - I run my own, no sense in lying to myself.

The 64bits machines won't perform any better, and in fact will perform worse, if you're still running everything 32bit. They are still going to be pushing around 64 bits for all their operations, even if they're only using the lower 32 on it. Unless you compiled it with optimizations, you aren't getting any benefit from the larger word size being pushed around. This still shouldn't be a terribly perceptible increase - my money is on the altered .conf file or lack of indexes.

What versions of the software were you using previously? Also - you mentioned only one of the machines changed, but you aren't clear on what that machines specific duties are - are all the machines load balanced? The one machine that changed seems to have all the pieces (LAMP) so I don't understand why you mention a database server separately from a web server...

It's also possible something lower level and sillier is causing the problem - like a bum cable, a bad hub, or a conflicting IP address. Try using the system locally, off a web browser running on it, and see if you still see the same issues (if possible). Try this after ruling out the important stuff, as these issues are unlikely if you literally just swapped a machine out with the config the same.

cheers,
--
- Martin Norland, Sys Admin / Database / Web Developer, International Outreach x3257
The opinion(s) contained within this email do not necessarily represent those of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.