Re: password in md5 to connect to mysql instead of clear password

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 02:37 -0800, Gael Lams wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I use the classic following rows to connect to a mysql
> database. I always put $passsword in clear in the php
> connection file and I wonder whether there is a way to
> have it in md5 so that someone reading the file could
> not use it to connect to the db. I googled a bit but
> find only threads explaining how to have password
> saved in md5 inside a mysql table which is not I would
> like to do
>
> Regards,
>
> Gal
>
>         function SQLConnect()
>         {
>                 $server_name = 'localhost';
>                 $db_name = 'cmsdb';
>                 $user_name = 'user';
>                 $password = 'clearpassword';
>
>                 if (!$dbconnect =
> mysql_connect($server_name, $user_name, $password))
>                 {
>                         echo "Connection failed to the
> host 'localhost'.";
>                         exit;
>                 }
>                 if (!mysql_select_db($db_name))
>                 {
>                         echo "Cannot connect to
> database '.$db_name.'";
>                         exit;
>                 }
>         }

You could probably do this if you managed to take the mysql source code
and changed the login functions.

..but if someone can see your password in MD5 format..could they then
not login with the same privileges as with your plain text?

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
* --- Now hosting Ruby on Rails Apps ---