Re: password in md5 to connect to mysql instead of clear password

Not answering your question but I'd put the connect info into a separate include file. This should then be placed in a directory that can be accessed by the Web Server but not by any other user (except root). Then when you need to establish a connection you just need to include the file.

graeme.

Gael Lams wrote:

Hi all

I use the classic following rows to connect to a mysql
database. I always put $passsword in clear in the php
connection file and I wonder whether there is a way to
have it in md5 so that someone reading the file could
not use it to connect to the db. I googled a bit but
find only threads explaining how to have password
saved in md5 inside a mysql table which is not I would
like to do

Regards,

Gaël

       function SQLConnect()
       {
               $server_name = 'localhost';
               $db_name = 'cmsdb';
               $user_name = 'user';
               $password = 'clearpassword';

               if (!$dbconnect =
mysql_connect($server_name, $user_name, $password))
               {
                       echo "Connection failed to the
host 'localhost'.";
                       exit;
               }
               if (!mysql_select_db($db_name))
               {
                       echo "Cannot connect to
database '.$db_name.'";
                       exit;
               }
       }

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills.

Minna Antrim