Re: accessing mysql on non default port - windows

Jason Wong wrote:
On Sunday 06 February 2005 07:59, Jeff wrote:

OK, but my understanding was that your mysql server is on *nix, and your problem was accessing it from a windows client. So you should not be using localhost?
I just did that for a test to remove the remote connection from the equation. And i get the same result.

Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication
protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client - this
using php 4.3.10, unfortunately i don't have the option of running 5.

This error has nothing (AFAICS) to do with the use port being used. The fact that you're getting this error indicates that the port being used is in fact correct and you have successfully managed to connect to the server. Google > the error message.

this *only* happens from windows clients when the port is used. as soon as i remove the port and connect to any mysql on 3306, it works fine.

Of course the *nix client works like a champ, but from all the
searching, it seems that the constant MYSQL_PORT is a compile time
argument.

Yes, but like I said, if you specify a port then whatever MYSQL_PORT is irrelevant because it doesn't come into play.

Have you succesfully connected from a php/mysql client to a mysql
server running on 330[not 6]

All the time!

from a php/mysql - windows client?? i've tried this from three machines runnign different versions of php4 and none of them have the ability to connect.

my code is quite simply
$cnx = mysql_connect("192.168.2.XX",'user','password');
$db = mysql_select_db("mysql",$cnx);
var_dump($cnx,$db);

and the error comes from the $cnx = line.

the relevant portion from php.ini
mysql.default_port 3307 3307

if you see something wrong wtih that, please let me know.

I've noticed that i get the same issue from command line mysql client 4.0.18 C:\mysql\bin>mysql -h 192.168.2.XX --port 3307 -u jdyke -p
Enter password: ********
ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;
consider upgrading MySQL client

but if i use mysql 4.1 it works fine.
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin>mysql -h 192.168.2.XX --port 3307 -u jdyke -p
Enter password: ********
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 54 to server version: 4.1.9-log

how do i get php to use a higher version then pre-configured one, which according to phpinfo()
Client API version 3.23.49

thats no good.  man if its something simple, i'm not seeing it.

Thanks
Jeff