Re: accessing mysql on non default port - windows

On Sunday 06 February 2005 07:59, Jeff wrote:

> Thats what i thought as well, but each time i attempt to use the port
> in mysql_connect, i.e. 'localhost:3307' or if i change the
> mysql.default_port = 3307  and just use 'localhost' in the server
> argument, i get

OK, but my understanding was that your mysql server is on *nix, and your
problem was accessing it from a windows client. So you should not be
using localhost?

> Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication
> protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client - this
> using php 4.3.10, unfortunately i don't have the option of running 5.

This error has nothing (AFAICS) to do with the use port being used. The
fact that you're getting this error indicates that the port being used is
in fact correct and you have successfully managed to connect to the
server. Google > the error message.

> Of course the *nix client works like a champ, but from all the
> searching, it seems that the constant MYSQL_PORT is a compile time
> argument.

Yes, but like I said, if you specify a port then whatever MYSQL_PORT is
irrelevant because it doesn't come into play.

> Have you succesfully connected from a php/mysql client to a mysql
> server running on 330[not 6]

All the time!