database connectivity problem

Here is the error: "Warning: sybase_connect() [function.sybase-connect]:
Sybase: Unable to allocate connection record

My configuration - The database is Sybase ASE 12.0 running on Solaris 8
The webserver is Apache 1.3.33 with PHP 5 running Solaris 9

The sybase libraries are shared via NFS, which is how I built the apache....

Inside the httpd.conf file I have set several SetEnv tabs to set

OCS, ASE, FTS, SYBASE to their proper paths... php_info() confirms this is
working....

I can run isql from this box and connect to the desired database manually...
if I set the environment

I have seen this errror posted in alot of places, but I do not see anything
approaching a solution

Could it be because I am sharing the sybase libraries via NFS?  I have seen
this problem posted from people who have the sybase client installed on
their webserver too though...

any help would be appreciated because I have pretty much hit a wall here...
and I am sure that there must be a way to make this work short of installing
apache/php on the same box as the database, which is absolutely not an
option...

Thanks

--J

Jon Adams