Re: works on command line, not on server

The Disguised Jedi wrote:
try users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list....

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:21:25 -0800, fred@xxxxxxxx <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a new installation of php on an existing apache 2 server, and
something strange is happening.  The file 'test.php' works and connects to
the database when run through the command line, but when run from the web
server (http://server/test.php) produces a segmentation fault:

"child pid 29056 exit signal Segmentation fault"

segmentation faults are a built in feature of the PHP/Apache2 setup whenever you don't use the PREFORK Apache2 worker module - I know barely enough to know this - this is due to threading (which is not supported with ?most? php extension - not sure if php itself has this problem also).

Anyway bottom line switch to PREFORK worker module if your not already using it,
alternatively you could try to get a stable threaded setup going.... but before you
embark I'd like to paraphrase a higher PHP authority, Rasmus Leidorf
(they don't get any higher actually) speaking in relation to using
a threaded Apache2 worker module:

"Your in unchartered territory, good luck."

and

"Nobody knows."

php itself does work, and a file with only phpinfo() in it runs fine on both the server and the command line. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any ideas?

<?php
$link = mysql_connect("localhost", "user", "pass")
   or die("Could not connect");
mysql_select_db("disorder") or die("Could not select database");

print "hello";

also you may need/wish to try the newer mysqli_* extension which is geared to the latest versions of MySQL.

?>