Re: PHP connect to mysql problem

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:25:21 +0300, Tsegaye Woldegebriel
<tsegaye_w@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anybody help!
> I can't connect from my PHP to mysql using the following code:
> $link = mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "merkato")
>    or die("Could not connect : " . mysql_error());
> it replies with error:
> Could not connect : Client does not support authentication protocol
> requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

It sounds like you're using the MySQL 3.x or 4.0 client to try to
connect to a 4.1 MySQL server.  MySQL 4.1 uses a different password
encryption (as you found), and you should update the PHP MySQL client
library to make it work.  You can also change the password encryption
on the MySQL server to make this work, although you'd be defeating a
security measure in doing so.  Have a look here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html