Getting total results

Hello everybody,

I am trying to split results comming from a mysql db with php into more html pages. Example: Results 1-10 out of 100

Therefor I limit the sql statement with: limit 1, 10
The sql statement is very complex. So far I have always used the same statement but without the limit and with a count inside to get the total number of results.

Now with this statement it would be a huge decrease in performance. Is there a way to work with the limit statement, but to get the total number of results?
As far as I know the LIMIT command only limits the visiblity, but mysql queries all the data.

Any ideas which could help?

Thank you in advance, Merlin