Site optimization

While my PHP/MySQL-based sites work quickly on my development computer, as well on servers where I know the traffic load is low, I'm concerned about how they'll perform under heavy loads, and whether or not I need to simplify MySQL queries or PHP code in order to speed up page delivery.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to simulate site performance under heavy traffic load, and then, should results be poor, how to optimize code to perform better?

I have a guess this might be a "tip of the iceberg" question that may lead to more questions, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

Thanks,