Re: Apache2+PHP5, Connecting to multiple Oracle servers

I compiled my PHP & Apache with the Oracle 8.1.7 client for Linux.  Oracle
10g can only communicate with Oracle 10g & Oracle 9i.  The 8.1.7 client
can communicate with Oracle 7, 8, 8i, 9i, & 10g.  I also have a
configuration compiled against the 9.2.0.4 client but it can not
communicate with Oracle 7.  So I would suggest using the 8i or 9i client
if you have the need to connect to and Oracle 8.x database as well as a
10.x database.

Roy A. Jones
US Pharma Database Administration
GlaxoSmithKline Inc. US Pharma IT, Shared Services
Email: roy.a.jones@xxxxxxx

"Mikael Jokela" <mikael.jokela@xxxxxxxxxxx>
17-Dec-2004 10:35

php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
 Apache2+PHP5, Connecting to multiple Oracle servers

Hi,

I use Apache2+PHP5 on Linux to connect to an Oci8 compliant
remote Oracle server. I have compiled PHP against the Oracle
client release 10.1.0. This works fine so far.

I need to connect to an older remote Oracle server, too.
This Oracle version is 8.0.5 which seems to be too old to work
with the same configuration.

I guess I have two options:
- To install an older Oracle client release for Linux and
  configure PHP with Oci7 (is 8.0.5 oci7 compliant?) and Oci8.
- To use odbc with the older Oracle.

I thought it might be a good idea to use odbc so I configured
PHP with iodbc driver manager support. Unfortunately, I can't
find an Oracle odbc driver for Linux! There seem to be commercial
drivers but are they worth buying?

If I decided to install a native Oracle client for the older
database, which client version should I choose?

Thank you for your ideas on this matter!

Mikael Jokela