connection pooling

Hello List,
is there anybody out there, who could help me in finding something I know
from good old java: Connection Pooling.

Is there a mechanism or project that provides that for PHP 5? Reason I
create a 20 page pdf with data out of MySQL 4.1
(that means using the mysqli methods) where I require a couple of shots at
my database. The whole process is realy slow
and i think the bottleneck is the database connection.

thx Jan