oci8 cannot connect after restarting DB

Every evening, for whatever reason, our Oracle db (9.2.0) is restated.
After it is restarted, I am unable to build a connection with Oracle from
PHP untill Apache is restarted.

Whenever I do an ociplogon() or ocilogon() following an Oracle DB restart,
it fails but I am unable to get a description of the error.  Restarting
Apache "fixes" the problem.

Has anyone else experianced the same issue?  It appears to me that this is a
php oci8 bug.  (shouldn't a new connection be built if a persistant
connection fails, and if not using persistant connections, shouldn't this be
a non issue?)

Thanks,

Michael