More help with restore server

I just seem to be full of it, questions these days.

Here is another situation I find myself in.  I did a rm -rf /var/*   Yeah,
yeah I know.  So getting beyond the oops factor, I have been recreating the
server.

I installed a new harddrive as /dev/hdd0.  I installed the old harddrive as
hdd1.  I did a new installation of 7.3 on hdd0 and copied the old /home and
/etc to hdd0.

I will be upgrading to newer versions of rh and then probably migrating to fc2
or white box linux.

For now, I wanted to recover my machine to it's previous state.  It is our
DNS, email and web server.

I have the email server back, the dns back, am working on the web site.  I was
just  finishing up and restoring a php/mysql calendar and I got an error
"call to undefined function: mysql_connect()"

I googled and it seemed to suggest I needed some updates or php or mysql
packages installed.

I then d/l'ed from ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/7.3/en/os/i386/
(which i assume are the last updates for 7.3) to hdd1 and I just tried to rpm
-U mysql* and php*

I get dependency errors like " php = 4.1.2-7.3.6 is needed bye
php-imap-4.1.2-7.3.6

so i rpm -U php-4.1.2-7.3.6.i386.rpm and I get "package php-devel-4.1.2-7.3.6
is already installed"

so I rpm -q php and i get "php-4.1.2-7

Something seems obviously wrong.  I f anyone has ideas, I would welcome them.

--

Michael Cortes
Fort LeBoeuf School District