From: Bastien Koert [mailto:bastien_k@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 12:45 PM
To: NIPP, SCOTT V (SBCSI); php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  Auto-increment questions...

If its an autoincrement, the next highest number will be assigned by the
db.
There is no need to query the db to find it. Simply insert the record
and
leave the id field out of the insert statement.

bastien

>From: "NIPP, SCOTT V (SBCSI)" <sn4265@xxxxxxx>
>To: <php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject:  Auto-increment questions...
>Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:58:41 -0500
>
>	I am working on a database application for Unix user accounts.
>I want to be able to have a system that will provide me the next
>available numeric user ID.  I have created a 2 column index table that
>simply includes UID and user name.  This field is autoincrement and the
>primary key for the table.  Currently this field only contains a very
>small sample of users.  Basically, I have numeric IDs 3000, 3001, 3008,
>and 3028.  My problem is that I am not sure how to query this table to
>get the next available numeric ID which is 3002.  If I do an insert
into
>this table without specifying a value for the auto_increment column it
>comes up with 3029.  Is there a way to query and/or insert such that it
>comes up with the next unused numeric value?
>
>Scott Nipp
>Phone:  (214) 858-1289
>E-mail:  sn4265@xxxxxxx
>Web:  http:\\ldsa.sbcld.sbc.com
>
>--

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and
outbound
e-mail and attachments.
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU
=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN(r) Premium right now and get
the
first two months FREE*.