RE: Auto-increment questions...

If its an autoincrement, the next highest number will be assigned by the db. There is no need to query the db to find it. Simply insert the record and leave the id field out of the insert statement.

bastien

From: "NIPP, SCOTT V (SBCSI)" <sn4265@xxxxxxx>
To: <php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  Auto-increment questions...
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:58:41 -0500

	I am working on a database application for Unix user accounts.
I want to be able to have a system that will provide me the next
available numeric user ID.  I have created a 2 column index table that
simply includes UID and user name.  This field is autoincrement and the
primary key for the table.  Currently this field only contains a very
small sample of users.  Basically, I have numeric IDs 3000, 3001, 3008,
and 3028.  My problem is that I am not sure how to query this table to
get the next available numeric ID which is 3002.  If I do an insert into
this table without specifying a value for the auto_increment column it
comes up with 3029.  Is there a way to query and/or insert such that it
comes up with the next unused numeric value?

Scott Nipp
Phone:  (214) 858-1289
E-mail:  sn4265@xxxxxxx
Web:  http:\\ldsa.sbcld.sbc.com

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound e-mail and attachments. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.