Auto-increment questions...

	I am working on a database application for Unix user accounts.
I want to be able to have a system that will provide me the next
available numeric user ID.  I have created a 2 column index table that
simply includes UID and user name.  This field is autoincrement and the
primary key for the table.  Currently this field only contains a very
small sample of users.  Basically, I have numeric IDs 3000, 3001, 3008,
and 3028.  My problem is that I am not sure how to query this table to
get the next available numeric ID which is 3002.  If I do an insert into
this table without specifying a value for the auto_increment column it
comes up with 3029.  Is there a way to query and/or insert such that it
comes up with the next unused numeric value?

Scott Nipp
Phone:  (214) 858-1289
E-mail:  sn4265@xxxxxxx
Web:  http:\\ldsa.sbcld.sbc.com