PHP Oracle Authentication using UNIX user account

Hi,

My DBA's preferred authentication method is to set up a UNIX user
account (i.e. userA) and let them login without using plaintext password
authentication, ie. The user has to be logged in, they can then run (for
example) sqlplus /  and that will log them into the correct database.

This is to prevent having to specify a username / password in a PHP
script (or a config file that gets loaded).  If the username / password
is visible in the script, then someone can login and start making manual
edits to the data using sql commands.

To implement this, I have ensured my apache instance is running as
'userA' and I have tried all sorts of combinations of things username =
"" password = "", username = "/" password = "", username="/" password
="/" etc.. to get this working (It works fine from the command line) but
the OCILogon function requires a username and a password, so is not
happy.

One solution to this is that the DBA opens up the DB to plaintext
authentication, I store the username / password in a config file with
read only permissions (only for the owner, userA), and then only someone
who knows userA's password can login and view this config file.  But
that does not fit in with the way my DBA wants me to authenticate.

Has anyone got a solution for this?

Regards