Installing PHP

I believe I have an installation problem on my WinXP
machine. I have some .htm files with PHP within in my
localhost [wwwroot] directory.
When I open the major one [I wrote but I think it's
mostly correct] in IE6, I get an error on line 69
[which is the end of my PHP.] When I open in IE6 a
test file:
**********************************
<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN">
<head>
  <title>Untitled web-page</title>
</head>
<?php
echo ("My name is Judy.");
?>

I get a blank page. When I view its source still
within IE6, I can see all of the above including the
PHP coding which is why I surmise that PHP isn't
installed correctly.

Developing the site online isn't practical. I need to
make it work locally before uploading. Help!
thanks,
judy