Re: Re: LAMP

Jason Wong wrote:

The answer to that is SPEED. Nothing short of Oracle comes even
close!!!!

You must have a big cheque book. I get just as fast a system without having to pay a penny over the cost of the hardware ;)

Hmm, if I'm not mistaken, I think he means that *unless* you have a big cheque book to pay for Oracle then MySQL is the next fastest thing around.

You need a cheque book for MySQL as well.
I am already replacing Oracle servers and don't need any pseudo-open source software to do it :)

The bottom line is that we are disparate for a proper benchmarking system which shows performance, capability and cost of ownership. My system may not be the best, but I don't have to look over my shoulder all the time worrying if I am going to get into licensing difficulties. However it would be nice to know WHERE engines are in the scale of things. The appearance of many more in the last few years is just a waste of development effort that could be concentrated on a few projects that cover the basic spread of requirements.
IBM passing the Cloudscape, and CA passing theirs to Open Source are just muddying the waters further.

( Anybody who does not know which database I use can ask privately if they are interested ;) )

--
Lester Caine