Re: php, javascript and db - your help is needed

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:24:01 -0700, Marcjon <marcjon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You could use a if/while construct. Something like:
>
> <select name=\"courses\">
> <?php
> if ($_POST['studentselect']){
> $result = mysql_query("SELECT courses FROM students WHERE student_name =
> '" . $_POST['studentselect'] . "'");
>
> while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
>     {
>     echo "<option value=".$row['course'].">".$row['course']."</option>";
>     }
> }
> ?>
> </select>
>
> Basically you would submit the form, and if a student was selected, it
> would populate the list with their courses from the database.
>
> --
>   Marcjon

PHP is a server-side language, so any further processing can only be
done when the browser sends a new request. You have to refresh *some*
page to get new data.

It is possible to use a hidden iframe to send a request, then parse it
with JS and display it in the main page, but this isn't trivial.

--
DB_DataObject_FormBuilder - The database at your fingertips
http://pear.php.net/package/DB_DataObject_FormBuilder

paperCrane --Justin Patrin--