Re: Hold System

Hello!!

CREATE TABLE `hold_tracker` (
  `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `STUDENT_ID` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `USER_ID` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `valid` char(1) NOT NULL default '1',
  `date_held` bigint(20) NOT NULL default '0',
  `date_created` bigint(20) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`)
) TYPE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=12 ;

This works okay, for just keep track of who is holding the student.
There are some restrictions:

1. A Coordinator may only hold 3 students at a time.  (PHP logic, this
is done already.)
2. A Coordinator can only hold a student while in the #1 position for a
certain amount of time. (I don't have a problem with calculating the
time.The problems are:
	A. What do I do with the record once there hold has expired?

Who checks for this???

If it's user based, then that's easy...Have a user run some type of report, or something like that

But if you/they want this automatic, then it's a little more involved...

What I've done in the past..Running Linux of course...

Create a mysql query text file and save it..(example)

	SELECT STUDENT_ID FROM hold_tracker WHERE USER_ID = 'blah'

Create a bash script...(Example)

#!/bin/sh
#
#
#
mysql database_name -uJoe -pblow <query | mail whatever@xxxxxxxxxxxx -s "Student Name Has Expired"

Then use CRON to start the Bash script at a certain time...

Dan