Re: table locking ... not required ?

Yes .. it is ok - the data that I allow to get updated like this is not that important and when a update is made it
would be two people entering the same data anyways.

It is just for contact info for people in the db ... like there current phone or address if it changes.

Michael.

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:31:07 +0200
"Torsten Roehr" <roehr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "John W. Holmes" <holmes072000@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Michael Gale wrote:
> > > For the UPDATES ... what would have it in theory two people hit the
> UPDATE
> > > button at the exact same time ?  Would one just over write the other ...
> > > cause that is fine ?
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> is it really OK that the second update just overwrites the first one?
> Because the second update will overwrite the first one *without* knowing
> about the first update and therefore without knowing about the data
> resulting from the first update.
>
> Regards, Torsten
>

> > Whatever UPDATE gets there first will execute and the other one will
> > wait until it's finished to update. There won't be any contention.
> >
> > --
> > ---John Holmes...
> >
> > Amazon Wishlist: www.amazon.com/o/registry/3BEXC84AB3A5E/
> >
> > php|architect: The Magazine for PHP Professionals _ www.phparch.com