table locking ... not required ?

Hello,

 I have a web app that uses a mysql database, now lots of INSETS and
UPDATES are done on a daily bases. Now I do not want to start locking
tables. For the INSERTS it is just a plain insert with a auto incrementing
primary key. So I am sure that multiple inserts would not have a problem is
multiple users tried to insert data at the same time.

For the UPDATES ... what would have it in theory two people hit the UPDATE
button at the exact same time ?  Would one just over write the other ...
cause that is fine ?

So do you think I need to lock tables ?

Michael.