MySQL variable question

Hi there everyone,

I'm using MySQL 4's built-in Boolean handling abilities with PHP 4 which
works wonderfully, but I need to change:

ft_min_word_len

to be 3 characters instead of 4 for fulltext indexing, how can I change this
as words such as cat etc ... are not showing up in my PHP search engine and
I need them to.

I know I have to edit ft_min_word_len to show 3 instead of 4, but what file
do I edit?  (Sorry to sound dumb but I haven't reconfigured MySQL before).

Thanks everyone.

Chris