help with consecutive numbers in db

I have a small script that I mangled together to enable me to input user
IP addresses into a MySQL db.  The IP's (for example 192.168.1.1) are
all in a single field.  The IP field is set to VARCHAR(100) Unique but
it is not the primary key.  I have found that my IPs are not consecutive
and I would like to create a script that would generate available IPs
from this list of used ones.  For example, there are 245 possible IPs in
this class C - I want it to see the ones that have been issued and
generate a list of what is still available.  Can someone help point me
in the right direction.  I don't really know even where to begin.
thanks,
Doug