Re: Re: mail() function and AOL users

This is something I've been dealing with for a little too long.

AOL has a big list of methods they use to block what they think are spam. Some of these things are:

- Reverse DNS Lookups: If you don't have an entry, your mail is dumped
- Mail Formatting: If the format of your message is not RFC Compliant, your mail is dumped.
- Open Relay Lists: If your IP is on a blacklist, your mail is dumped.
- MX Record Lookups: If the domain of your address does not have an MX record, your mail is dumped.
- Dynamic IP Lists: If you are on a (known) dynamically assigned IP address, your mail is dumped.
- Message Content: If your message contains obfuscated (hex-coded) URL's, your mail is dumped.
- Rolling Blockouts: Aol has been known to block whole blocks of IP's just because they feel like it.

The list goes on like this for awhile. For more info, pay a visit to http://postmaster.info.aol.com/

--JMR

Daniel.Brunner@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello!!

That's not always true.

I just sent mail using php to my AOL account, and it worked. The smtp mail server doesn't have a reverse dns lookup.

His problem might be that the SMTP server he is using my be on the black list.

http://www.ordb.org/

This will cause a ton of problems.

It took me 3 weeks to get off that list!!!

Anyway...

Instead of sending it like this...

mail($email, "application submitted", $message, "From: employment@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\r\n");

Do something like this...

$text = stripslashes($text); $subject = stripslashes($sub);

	$header = "From: $From\nReply-To: $From\n";
	$header .= "Cc: $cc\n";
	$header .= "MIME-Version: 1.0\n";
	$header .= "Content-Type: text/plain\n";
	$header .= "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bnoit\n\n";
	$header .= "$text\n";

mail($To, $subject, "", $header);

I alwasy like working with strings....

Dan