mysql went away

HI. I've been using mySQL 4.0.13, php4.3.4, and phpMyAdmin2.5.5 on Mac OS 10.3.3 as a learning/testing/development environment for a couple of months now - no problems, works great.

I've created more than a few mySQL databases and tables, but yesterday I created a database, a table, and LOAD DATA from within phpMyAdmin. Successfully. I looked at the data and all was fine. Logged out and went away for a while. Came back and phpMyAdmin would not show me my databases in the left frame, and I could not launch a query window. I could see runtime information, system vars, processes, and even privileges.

I tried logging in to mySQL through the terminal, and I can run simple commands and connect OK, but any commands to show databases or tables will hang the terminal. Through the command line client I can run simple commands, but no commands to view or affect databases or tables.

I can run php scripts - connect to databases, retrieve and even insert/update data, but I cannot view databases or tables.

Does anyone have a clue about what the problems may be or where I should start?

---
Bill Green
20 Meadowview Drive
Asheville, NC 28804