Re: postgresql

if i remember correctly you have to do this

  su
  su postgres
  createuser your-user-id

Adam Williams wrote:
Hi, I know this isn't PHP related but I have a quick question about postgresql. I come from a mysql enviroment so I'm a little clueless, even after reading the postgresql docs.

I am moving a postgresql database from one server to another. As the user that owns the database, lculber, I ran pg_dump sroom1 > sroom1.database but on the server I'm moving the database to, I can't figure out how to get into psql to create the user lculber so I can do psql sroom1 < sroom1.database

so how can I create the users lculber in postgresql. I can't even connect to psql. any advice? :) below is my command. I'm not trying to database root, I just want to get the psql prompt so I can create the user lculber.

root@archives1 root]# psql -U root
psql: FATAL:  Database "root" does not exist in the system catalog.
[root@archives1 root]# createuser lculber
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) y
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) y
psql: FATAL:  user "root" does not exist
createuser: creation of user "lculber" failed