Re: MySQL - separating web and database servers

On 18 Mar 2004 at 14:24, Ricardo Lopes wrote:

> in your php.ini you have mysql.default_host, mysql.default_user and
> mysql.default_password which are used if:
>
> a) you are not in safe mode
> b) you supply no string for those parameters.
>
> But i guess this is not your case, i think this doesnt help,

Exactly...

> but i had an
> ideia, you could set your server (http) to work as a router and make
> something like a port-forwarding to the other server, like routers do, one
> ip could be used be several machines, depending on the port is accessed the
> data is forwarded to that port.
>
> This is just an idea i had right now, i dont know if it can be used or if it
> works but and least appears to logical and implementable.
> Good luck.

And this is how I want it to be done, but in the "localhost
case" unix socket is used, not 127.0.0.1:3306 which I could
forward wherever I want.

Probably I need to change this behaviour in
ext/mysql/libmysql/libmysql.c for my installation, but this is
my last hope (mostly because I'm not a C programist...) If some
of you could tell me if it's possible without breaking
something else, or point me to the lines that do the job... I
suppose the change needed would be quite simple.

PB